Weight gain is the most common complication which can arise after surgery. Following are the medical conditions that can lead to weight gain post-surgery.
- Pregnancy: About 80% of women suffer from significant weight gain after pregnancy, where the delivery occurs with the help of a C-Section.
- Kidney problems
- Heart problems
- Thyroid issues
- Adrenal issues
- New medications
The problems which lead to weight gain after surgery:
Fluid Retention: The major cause for weight gain after surgery is the fluid retention. Water is retained in the interstitial space in your body. This leads to weight gain and causes a bloated look. Fluid retention can take place in few parts of the body or the overall body; for example, swollen feet and hands.
Trauma: The body tissues undergo trauma during surgery. This causes inflammation which can lead to fluid retention. The chances of fluid retention are higher if the surgery is due to any accident.
Stress: Hormonal imbalances occur in the body due to stress. This is responsible for excessive fluid retention. Surgery related stress results in high levels of ADH, which makes the kidneys to store the body water. This can also increase weight gain.
Stagnation: Patients are most likely to do very little work after surgery. This leads to weight gain. Patients are encouraged to do some exercises wards off excess weight and also helps to fight post-surgery depression.
Comfort Food: This is the main reason for weight gain after surgery. The cravings that occur post-surgery are the reason for getting the extra calories.
- If a patient gains weight rapidly, they must seek medical attention. It can take a week to get back to the normal appetite after the surgery. However, it is crucial not to stop eating or worse, to eat unhealthy foods.
- High-calorie food should be replaced with low-calorie food. It should include foods that are high in fiber and water.
- Safe exercising and weightloss options such as yoga, swimming, brisk walk are good precautions to prevent weight gain.
- It is also advisable to get ample sleep and to take some precautions against overstressing immediately after the surgery.
- Avoiding alcohol and smoking is beneficial to health.
- The right health supplements can promote health and help combat negative side effects after surgery.
Join the conference as speaker by submitting your research.
Abstract submission link: CLICK HERE
To attend as delegates, kindly register: CLICK HERE
For more details, please visit: Obesity Meeting 2019
Srija Sam| Program Manager
Obesity Meeting 2019
Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org